Today I want to show you guys how to connect your computers to a single printer so that you can send prints from any of the computers without having to actually plug the printer’s USB wire to the computer. To achieve this, all you need to do is follow the instructions below;
Before you can do this, you have to note the following;
- The computers you wish to link to the printer must be running on the same operating system.
- The printer’s USB wire must be plugged to one of the computers that you wish to be printing from and the computer must be on and not in sleep mode.
- You must have the printer’s driver software installed on each and every of the computer you want to use in printing.
If all the above requirements are met, then you are set to link all your computers to the printer.
The first thing you will have to do is make the printer visible to other computers which are on the same network as the host computer on which it is plugged. Here is how to do this;
- Click on the Windows Start Icon >>> Control Panel.
- Locate and click on Network and Sharing Center.
- Click “Change advanced sharing settings.“
- Click the arrow down icon to expand the current network profile.
- Under File and printer sharing, select “Turn on file and printer sharing“.
- Click “Save changes” to turn on file and printer sharing.
- Next, click on Windows Start Icon, then select “Devices and Printers“.
- Right-click the printer you want to share, then click “Printer Properties“.
- Click the Sharing tab, and check the box next to “Share this printer.“
If you have successfully performed the above, then the printer should now be visible on other computers which are on the same network as the host computer.
The next step is to install the printer’s software on each of the computers you wish to connect to the printer. Once that is done, do the following on each of the computer;
- Click on the Windows Start icon and select Devices and Printers.
- Locate and click on “Add a Printer” on the Devices and Printers page.
- On the pop-up page that will appear, click on “Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer“.
- Patiently wait while it locates the printer which should already be connected to the computer which the printer’s USB is plugged to and sharing enabled just as i stated above.
- Select the printer once it appears and then click on “Next“.
- Follow the simple instructions afterwards to finish connecting the computer to the printer.
With that done, you can begin sending prints to the printer from any of your computers without having to plug the printer to each of them when ever you wish to print.